Remove this ad

thebilbyguy

#21 [url]

Nov 2 13 5:35 PM

Re: topic suggestions

Here are two possible topics inspired by the weekly Pathfinder game I am a part of:

Idea the lesser: Your guys' thoughts on the new "Mythic Power" feature introduced to the game. Our GM is running an adventure path so our whole team feels like we're just steamrolling everything way too easily, even when the "boss" characters have Mythic Power as well, but that might not be as big an issue for homebrew settings. I'd be interested to know how it has been working for others or what an outside observation of it would be.

Idea the greater: The restriction of role-playing in adventure paths as opposed to homebrews. The group has only really spent time role-playing among ourselves twice. Both times had to be initiated by me but otherwise the AP tends to keep us on the move. The first time was relatively short. We got bonus XP for it. The second time wasn't much longer than the first but this time the GM just seemed to be annoyed by the delay and there was certainly no XP given. I'm wondering if it is a common thing for APs: That roleplaying the characters themselves gets seen as nothing but delays to the schedule and getting through the material takes priority?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Azul027

#22 [url]

Nov 17 13 5:31 PM

Thinking back to previous episodes, you guys mentioned the boom of Tabletop RPGs in the 90's. This was a bit before my time, I didn't really even start playing until after the D&D 4E Essentials line came out, and this really was before the internet took off, so I can't look this up. What would you say caused this? What were some of the things to come out during this time with RPGs, (whether specific games themselves, or maybe changes in game mechanics, etc)? How did this boom effect other forms of entertainment? I know that 3rd edition D&D came out in 2000, so it wouldn't be apart of what we would call the "90's boom" of course, but I know the Open Gaming License created a bit of a boom itself, in a way sparking, what some people have called the "Open Gaming Movement." Could probably link the two booms. Maybe also talk about the move that Wizards of the Coast took afterwards, still having a "open" license of sorts, but that license, the Game System License, being a lot more restrictive with what 3rd party publishers could publish. So a bit more of a shift away from licenses that essentially put one of their biggest competitors, Paizo, on the map with Pathfinder.

Hopefully this was some food for thought.

Quote    Reply   

thebilbyguy

#23 [url]

Dec 19 13 11:59 PM

Have you guys ever had a GM insert(Or as a GM have you ever inserted) a really good "mystery" into an RPG? I don't just mean a game where a mystery is the main setting but even just one session or even an entire campaign where the players had to work out a puzzle. I also don't mean the general mystery of a villain hiding his true plans but more like real detective-style work or unraveling a conspiracy with no plot rails to help you.

I had a session of Pathfinder like that recently that was quite a bit of fun, investigating the disappearance of a local child and hunting the events to their source. That one was short and so not very complex but we all enjoyed it. I would love to hear more about those kinds of games though because I can also see how things could have easily gone very wrong if not enough different possible leads are available and the players just don't ask the right kind of question or fail the wrong skill check. A group stalled by a mystery probably isn't much fun at all.

Also, have you had any experience with an RPG that's designed specifically for mysteries?

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Mar 6 14 1:17 PM

Still taking suggestions from this thread? Either way I'd like to hear your takes on types of rulers or leadership of nations, organizations, areas, etc. in fiction whether it be good ol' democracy, battles for supremacy or inheritance and how they can be implemented in games. Pretty much in-game politics.

My personal favorite way of determining rulers come from a Swedish comic called Herman Hedning (Herman the Heathen) where there's a nation of giants that God created for building the world through manual labor. Because they are all equally strong and none of them are smart nor charismatic enough to convince others to follow them they can't decide who's supposed to be their leader. So everyone wears shirts with texts like "Keep on Trucking", "We're only here for the beer", "I'm with stupid", "Sex Instructor. 1st lesson is free" and so on and choose the one with the dumbest shirt to be the King. The system works surprisingly well for centuries until Herman shows up and starts selling replicas of the current King's shirt so everyone can be King. In the end everything is settled in the end by everyone starts wearing silly hats and picking the guy with the dumbest hat to be the King instead.

Quote    Reply   

Azul027

#25 [url]

May 21 14 2:50 AM

Gaming in Media:

Both tabletop gaming and video gaming (although more the latter) have been featured in movies, TV shows, news programs, books, songs, magazines, comics etc. What are the good, great, bad and ugly ways gaming (might be good to separate video and tabletop) has been shown in the media.

Possible ideas to draw from:
Against: Mazes and Monsters, Dark Dungeons (comic), and others (good list on Wikipedia of specific to D&D ) would highly recommend honestly going through that list, just wow!
Pro: The Gamers (Trilogy) ( if you haven't watched any of these I would recommend watching the 2nd (Dorkness Rising) and 3rd (Hand of Fate)), That one episode of Community
Not Quite Getting It: Big Bang Theory (need I say more, you guys have talked about this one frequently but might be worth mentioning), numerous songs that just name things from D&D, looking at you Nikki Manaj
Incorporates Elements Found in Gaming: Slayers being based off of a D&D Game
Miscellaneous: D&D in Futurama, Gaming Conventions, Memes ( Get Down from Golden Eye 64 (glitch) [url= [/url], Arrow to the Knee, etc)

I'd be interested to know in general what things you think the media has gotten right, and what things they've gotten wrong!

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Aug 1 14 3:11 PM

If you're running a game in an established setting (Iron Kingdoms, any number of D&D settings, Shadowrun, etc.) how much of the setting should you put in your game? Specifically, what guidelines should be set for the player's interaction with established characters or storylines, so that they don't overshadow the players, but the players still feel like they're part of the setting that those events/characters are an important part of?

Quote    Reply   

thebob288

#28 [url]

Aug 19 14 12:13 PM

Grognards suggestion

I was wondering about your opinion on Rpgs as learning tools. I hated school with the burning passion of one thousand suns, Making shadowrun characters however is something I do for fun and that involves a lot of "hmm I could spend 8 points to get +2 to a skill or 2 to get a specialization that gives me a dice pool bonus of the same but is more situational and less usefull overall" a bell curve is fun to learn about if it means you can use it to build a guy that can sucessfully plant c4 on a amored car during a heist and I can't help but wonder if we should we be giving out tabletop games to kids in school? (maybe not so much shadowrun...well not until highschool)  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#29 [url]

Sep 3 14 2:02 PM

Having previously asked about it during streaming, I shall place this here, to be recorded for the ages!  Or not.

Possible topic for discussion:  Time Shenanigans!  Things like time travel, self-fulfilling timelines... Even tertiary stuff like having the players interact with the results of someone Else time traveling.  It's an idea that has come up and that I've started playing around with in *my* campaign, and I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Second possible topic!:  Combining campaigns. Another thing I've been prodding at with a friend of mine, combining two campaigns which take place in the same world.  Things in one campaign might end up having an effect on the other, characters from one might be met in another...  It gives lots of possibilities for interesting interactions, and opens up the ever dangerous route of the "Crossover" session.

Call me Fey~

Quote    Reply   

Azul027

#30 [url]

Dec 11 14 6:54 AM

I think that one of of the things that makes Slayers as amazing as it is, is the combining of different cultural ideas, mainly that from "Western Fantasy" and that of "Japanese Fantasy" (both of those I'm putting in huge quotation marks). I'm beginning to think of other things mentioned on the stream, like samurai with westerns, where things just blend so well together that borrow from obviously different sources. What other things in video games, tabletop games, books, etc, have done so? Where has this gone amazingly, where has this gone horribly? Maybe also talk about things like localization, or people (like the abridging community such as TeamFourStar and LittleKuriboh) who take material and combine it with things that their targeted audience would understand, while keeping the original story mostly intact.

Quote    Reply   

Azul027

#31 [url]

Dec 16 14 7:47 AM

So here's another to consider.

I'm rereading the Hobbit and soon the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, then the other lesser known Tolkien books. It amazes me how influential these stories are, captivating the minds of children and adults for decades to come. Not too long from now we'll be coming on on the 100 year anniversary of the Hobbit. WOW!!!

I can see where the fantasy genre borrowed from Tolkien. Elves being tall, beautiful, and using bows to fight. Smaug inspiring Red Dragons in D&D. I'm curious about the origins of other things we have in our culture, where in fiction these tropes originated from. Where did time travel to the middle ages come from (I know this one)? What about space ships, or Egypt being this place of magic, traps, and curses?

I don't know of you could make a show out of this, but I thought I'd throw it at you nonetheless.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Feb 20 15 11:39 PM

Hello, I have suggestion/challenge for you guys. It's to make mechanics(and campaign if you have time left) for a Table RPG based off an anime/manga that would be difficult to make into a Table RPG. The anime/manga that first came to my mind was One Piece, but if you guys can think of even more difficult anime/manga to turn into a table RPG than go with that one. Also maybe you could do this same suggestion/challenge next week, but with a video game.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Feb 25 15 4:50 AM

Hello, Peter and Eric thank you for answering my suggestion, tho I most say did smack myself up side the head when your answer was Hero System because I had completely forgot about it even tho you guys have talked about before so I felt a little stupid after that. Anyway, I remember how you guys talk about wishing to do a campaign with two different team of players with one team being the good guys while other team being the bad guys, but than always say that this idea would easily burn out the GM. So I was wondering, what if there two GMs that way there was one for each team? I find this an interesting because not only would the player teams be trying to beat the other team, the GMs could be trying to be the other GM by using the player team that her or she is GMing like chess pieces. So how would a game like this play out, what rules would the two GMs set for themselves, and etc? I hope this is a good enough suggest for an entire show, but if it isn't than ah well I will try again next time.

Quote    Reply   

thebilbyguy

#34 [url]

Feb 28 15 12:25 AM

I remember when you did your show on your favourite aliens in science fiction. I would still love to hear you guys talk about your favourite artificial intelligences in sci-fi as well.

Do Daleks count? I guess not, no matter how cybered-up their brains are.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Dec 25 15 12:36 AM

RE: Topic Suggestion

I have been watching ST: Enterprise since it came on netflix recently, don't ask why might be an unknown masochistic streak, but I digress.As I have been watching it there have been a few episodes that have actually aged better with time and a new viewing. I challenge you both to come up with some good episodes of Enterprise. Season 4 and wikis are allowed, but I would prefer if you attemped to find the emerald in the crap as it were. If you complete it too early maybe discuss its weaknesses and just eventually devolve into compairing it to the better series and ripping it a new asshole. HA HA. Thank you and Keep doing the good things you do.

P.S. Enterprise vs new movies which is worse overall.

Sincerely,

Duwani

Quote    Reply   

Dyl

#36 [url]

Aug 18 16 2:03 AM

Let's talk running and writing one-shot adventures, either in a variety of systems to try them out or perhaps a series of them in one system like 4e D&D as a campaign of it's own not that I'd know anything about that.  Ahem.

What goes into creating, running, and playing a one-shot.  How is it different from an ongoing campaign?
What one-shots have you played or hosted?  What do you like about them?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help